Welcome to the first edition of Legal Insights! We are here as your source for the latest legal market trends, helping you navigate the complexities of the industry.
What are we seeing in the market.
- Big news id the mergers and acquisitions of firms within the Scottish Legal market.
Morton Fraser’s merger with MacRoberts represents a strategic move to consolidate legal expertise in Scotland, potentially leading to enhanced services for clients in Scotland. Irwin Mitchell’s acquisition of Wright Johnston Mackenzie signifies a broader expansion strategy, positioning the firm to offer a wider range of legal services in the Scottish market.
- Slowdown in the recruitment of lawyers.
Firms, mainly the large international and national firms, are experiencing a slight slowdown in the volume of work in areas such as corporate and real estate so there have been less roles coming to market.
- Effective utilisation
Due to the volume of hiring that has taken place over the last two years firms are looking at utilization of their lawyers and assessing if they are operating efficiently and cost effectively.
- As usual, the market has cooled down over the summer due to holidays. September has seen the usual increase in legal vacancies.
- Shortage of experienced commercial contracts IT/IP lawyers who are looking to move In-House.
- We are expecting to see a marked increase in insolvency litigation.
The ‘tsunami’ of insolvencies that was anticipated following the pandemic has not yet materialised, and while London is starting to see bigger waves in that practice area than it did last year, Scotland is yet to see as significant an increase in cases.
Attended the Deal and Deal Makers Awards 2023
- It was an excellent night and great to see Brodies emerging as the standout winner at the 2023 Deals and Dealmakers Awards, securing both the Legal Advisor of the Year and new Diversity and Inclusion awards, while Ithaca Energy claimed the coveted Deal of the Year title for its $1.5bn acquisition of Siccar Point Energy.
Job of the Month:
We have been retained by Thompsons Solicitors Scotland to find them a Personal Injury – Senior Solicitor for their RTA Team in either Edinburgh or Glasgow due to continued growth. http://ffi.sh/s0DvV
Skills in demand:
- Real Estate, Construction, Energy, Insolvency, Litigation, Planning and Personal Injury are all areas that continue to be busy with opportunities at various levels.
Quotes of the month:
“Legal professionals, remember: A good lawyer knows the law, but a great lawyer knows how to keep their coffee cup full and their sense of humour even fuller. Stay caffeinated!”
Meet the Legal Team!
Our Legal recruitment team continues to grow! Want to know the best consultant to fill your vacancy or who to contact about your next move?